- All of our fields are herbicide free
- All of our bins are pesticide free
- Hoppers are cleansed twice before mixing any batch
- Grains are rotated to ensure freshness
- Our organic grains are grown to our specifications
- To help control any insects we use Diamutaceous Earth (DE) –
- What is DE? Diatomaceous earth is a remarkable, all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants. Diatomaceous Earth is a naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth's ecology since prehistoric times. It is believed that 30 million years ago the diatoms built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder that looks and feels like talcum powder to us. It is a mineral based pesticide. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural (not calcined or flux calcined) compound. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural grade diatomite. To insects DE is a lethal dust with microscopic razor sharp edges. These sharp edges cut through the insect's protective covering drying it out and killing them when they are either dusted with DE. When they ingest the DE it will shred their insides. This is not harmful to horses.
Gooseberry Food Bar Safety Measures
Our manufacturers make every bar to our specifications and use the following Quality Control Measures:
- In the kitchen, every piece of equipment is cleaned and sanitized according to FDA standards and regulations between each order.
- Certified Food Handlers on staff, that enforce all safety and health regulations in our kitchen.
- Annual inspections from the health inspector and always pass with flying colors.
- Each ingredient is Certified Organic with Certificates of Origin.
- Testing for Fat, Fiber, Protein, Vitamin, and Mineral content and printed on each package.